Tuesday, March 30, 2010

History of the Easter Lily


I have always thought that Easter Lilies were the most beautiful flower. They have always reminded me of Easter, springtime, and new life. I decided to do some research on their history, because beyond symbolizing Easter I never really knew. There are many different ways that the lilies fit into biblical history. One suggest that when Eve was banished from the Garden of Eden, beautiful lilies sprang from the ground as she cried tears of repentance. It is also said that lilies sprouted from the ground during Christ's final hours as he sweated on the cross. The Lily also represents motherhood. When it was announced that the Virgin Mary was to be the Jesus's mother, the angel Gabriel extended her a bunch of white Lilies. The Lilies represented purity, innocence, hope, and virtue.
I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about the biblical history of the Easter Lily. They are so much more than a beautiful flower, they are a symbol of hope.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Easter a little early! I love those kinds of stories! I need to start incorporating this kind of thing into my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stories of the Lily! Some I knew, but some I did not, like the tears from Eve. Thanks so much for sharing! it was a beautiful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girly! Just came across your blog and I am absolutely loving it! I love this post about the Easter Lily! You now have a new follower!

    Enjoy your Easter!

    xo

    ReplyDelete